ABOUTState of Green is a blog showcasing modern sustainable design in Australia and its surrounds. More >>
Become a State of Green sponsor
Currently in Store …..
AS SEEN IN …….
- Product Design students create edgy and sustainable furniture designs using digital manufacturing techniques
- Giveaway: Up Up & Away with Polli’s new sustainable jewellery range
- The PanelPop introduces a new sustainable art medium
- Chapman & Bailey’s Sow’s Ear Challenge showcases sustainable design in a new light
- New stock arriving …and we are a little in love with it!
- Australian Design
- book review
- eco awards
- eco baby + child
- eco brands
- eco design
- Eco Events
- eco living
- eco outdoor
- eco travel
- Eco Xmas
- organic beauty
- organic skincare
- sustainable architecture
- sustainable fashion
- sustainable furniture
- Sustainable textiles
Sites we like …
LINK TO US
Category Archives: Competition/Giveaway
OOh Christmas must be close, as we are celebrating back to back giveaways where you can win gift vouchers to purchase some wonderful products over Xmas. Today, the friendly team at local shoe store SOLED are very generously offering up a $300 VOUCHER to get you well shod ~ for pure indulgence you can spend it on yourself, or spread it amongst the family ~ My god I wish I could enter this giveaway!
SOLED is physically located in Hampton St, Hampton (VIC), and are online too. Now let it be said, this is one seriously cool store – From the fit out to the footwear, they endeavour to tread lightly (excuse the pun!). The sneakers are truly funky coming in a range of colours, the mens range is just so urban cool, and the kids shoes are incredibly cute! Some shoes are made from recycled components, and a wide range are vegan friendly too.
You’ve never met a friendlier bunch than the team at Soled. Suey Cooper was ever so gracious to answer our questions about the store AND offer the $300 Voucher to a State of Green reader:
1. Can you share with us the SOLED story and how you got involved ? Gary came across these two incredible brands on one of his overseas trips and he became so passionate about them that when they ( the distributorships) were offered to us, even though it was ahead of schedule, we just had to take the leap. Finding the location was also a natural progression. Gary and I fell in love with the Bayside area as soon as we moved here from Sydney four years ago. We knew we wanted to stay in the area and since Gary – who’s been in the shoe industry since he left school- wanted to take the leap and start a business of his own, it seemed an easy decision. I became involved because after the ridiculous amounts of research that had to be done in the name of “Due Diligence” and writing our Business Plan, I became as passionate as he was. Funny really, because my only previous interest in shoes was getting them on the right feet! I just fell in love with the brands – VIVOBAREFOOT and Dansko- and their respective attitudes towards, people, the environment and thinking outside the square.
2. The shop design is great! Tell us about the fit out : It was very much a question of working out a way to do something they said couldn’t be done. I was basically told that I would struggle to have a design that complimented two such visually diverse products, and also that there was no way we could do a shop fit with a low budget and be environmentally aware. I am a huge believer in taking things back to basics and finding the beauty in the faults or irregularities of life. So with the environmental message being the design premise for the fit out,. Everything needed to be recycled repurposed or preloved. The cardboard has a fabulous and suprisingly natural feel to it and was great to work with. The glue we used was non toxic and the only tradesman we used was an Electrician. Lucky for me, I also have some incredibly talented friends who let me bounce my crazy ideas off them and helped me when I needed direction.
3. Do you have a favourite pair of shoes at the moment? Not one, two!! I lived in my Dansko Ankle Boots over winter and my VIVO Evo’s are always a favourite, they’re yellow, how could you not love yellow funky sneakers?!
4. What can we expect to see at SOLED over the next year? The lifestyle range in VIVOBAREFOOT is super cute, ballet flats and lace ups, such a huge vegan range. With Dansko their range is ridiculously comfortable, it’s such a change to have comfort and cool shoes. I also love doing the Visual Merchandising using recycled stuff.
5. Share with us your easy eco living tip: Give everything a second chance and try looking at things with fresh eyes. Ankle freezing jeans become shorts.
ENTER THE GIVEAWAY!
To go in the running to win a $300 Gift Voucher* from SOLED, simply leave a comment below sharing with us your favourite shoe in their online store! The winner will be drawn at random on Wednesday 19th December after 7pm. Good Luck!
* Open to Australian Residents only
We have a wonderful giveaway to offer up today, by virtue of the generosity of the team over at brand new online fashion store, Sustainable Fashion. Launching their new online store just last week, they are very much in the mood to celebrate, and would like to offer a State of Green reader a magnificent $200 Shopping Voucher ~ Perfect timing for Christmas festivities!
Two sustainable fashion labels, Rant Clothing, and the brand new Bestowed collection are both represented at the Sustainable Fashion store, in addition to other locally made accessories. Both labels are Australian designed and made, and the bamboo jersey, GOTS certified organic cottons and ethical merino jersey are all milled in Victoria. Owner Jason Hodoniczky who is a member of the Ethical Fashion Forum strives to minimise the impact of their Brisbane based fashion labels. He says “making locally has an important impact on minimising our footprint, with our cutting & sewing all taking place within 30km of our home studio“. Jason also washes their fabric in rainwater tanks located at their studio, and at a specially selected local laundromat. It is then air dried under the hot Queensland sun, putting to good use our natural resources.
Do check out the new Sustainable Fashion online store and show your support of this local business who are striving to do their bit for the environment, whilst showcasing a beautiful fashion range. For our international readers, they also offer a great flat shipping rate too!
To enter the draw to win a $200 Gift Voucher to spend at Sustainable Fashion please pop on over to their website and leave a comment below letting us know which item of clothing you covet! The winner will be drawn after 7pm on Sunday 16 December 2012. Goodluck!
For all you nature lovers we have a very pretty and functional Giveaway to offer up today! The fabulous girls over at Sydney based design brand Polli have just turned their hand to designing a Flower Press (RRP: $39.95) – and what a result – We love it!
As a child growing up I LOVED a good flower press – but mine were no where near as classy as Polli’s latest design. I used an old big thick and heavy dictionary to press little flowers between its pages in between tracing paper. One of the biggest delights was forgetting about them, and then checking at a later date to find a perfectly formed dried flowers.
Made in Australia from sustainable plantation hoop pine ply, these round flower presses feature original water colour paintings and sketches of Australian native flowers. They are lined with recycled card and paper, and are perfect for capturing a pretty piece of nature.
~~ GIVEAWAY DETAILS ~~
Simply leave a comment below letting us know what flowers you would love to press in the Polli flower press. The winner will be drawn at random on Wednesday 21 November 2012 after 7pm. Goodluck!
(NB: Open to Australian based entrants only)
If you are after affordable and unique illustrated artwork, La La Land is your one stop store. They showcase beautiful prints by artists from all over the world, and we are very happy to share that they are offering up a fab giveaway for a lucky State of Green reader. Not only are they giving you the choice of a beautiful large illustrated print, but are also providing a 2013 illustrated Calendar to help plan out next year (which is only 7 weeks away – yikes!), a Christmas card set by Art & Ghosts (perfect timing!), and a recycled cardboard frame (for your beautiful illustrated poster).
Founded in 2009 by Elie Azzi and Ludivine Chu, La La Land offers unique and affordable illustrated prints created by Australian and international visual artists. Elie and Ludivine cherry pick their favourite young artistic talent, and boy do they have a great eye. Showcasing the work of over 40 artists, there is something for everyone ~ some prints are quirky, others dreamy and cute, and some dark and provocative. La La Land publish the majority of the artwork on a variety of recycled paper forms including posters, prints, gift cards and wrapping paper. You may well discover your favourite illustrator over at La La Land – Grab a cuppa as it will take you some time to view their great gallery!
~~ GIVEAWAY DETAILS ~~
To enter this fab giveaway, please leave a comment below sharing with us your favourite La La Land artist (see them all here). We will draw the lucky winner on Monday 12 November 2012 after 7pm. Goodluck All!
1 x 2013 Calendar
1 x Art And Ghosts Xmas card set
1 x Cardboard frame (your choice)
1 x large poster (your choice)
Have you seen Love Mae’s kids organic cotton doona covers? They beat cartoon themed doona covers hands down, and add a touch of class, whimsy and fantasy all at once to a child’s room. AND the great news is that Love Mae are giving away a doona cover of your choice to one State of Green follower (Value: $229.95) – WOW!
Made from 100% organic cotton brushed cotton, the Love Mae scales doona covers come either pretty in pink with cascading scales over the end of the bed like a mermaid’s tail, or in strong red, blue and grey scales like the back of a dinosaur.
++ GIVEAWAY DETAILS ++
ORGANIC COTTON SINGLE DOONA COVER: Value $229.95
If you would love to transform your child’s room with a Love Mae scales organic cotton doona cover, please head over to the and leave a comment below telling us which is your favourite Love Mae design (can include anything from their beautiful store!). The winner will be drawn at random on Sunday 14 October 2012 after 7pm. Goodluck!
(anyone can enter from around the globe!)
Whilst not everyone will have the budget to create the magnificent gardens in this book, it may help plant a seed in your mind as to how you could makeover that plain concrete side walkway, enhance your entrance or plant out a barren shady corner. This beautifully designed book about urban gardens promotes the work of landscape designer Janine Mendel. Her guiding philosophy is that a house should look as if it’s been “planted” in a garden and she advocates that “the structure or geometry of the garden is the most significant element in garden design”.
The book is divided into two parts. The first looks at the sites and gardens that Mendel has transformed for clients, from a holiday home to an apartment courtyard. The design section discusses the elements including paths, walls, pillars, painted surfaces, lighting, plant and tree choices.
In the final chapter on sustainability, she takes a holistic and pragmatic approach towards gardening. She isn’t a fan of the “ubiquitous” covered alfresco area, believing that well-designed homes don’t need them; and has practical tips around simple things to make your garden more sustainable. The tips are nothing radical, but serve as a reminder as to how to get the best from your new garden
now and into the future – including mulch, source materials locally if possible and select the right plants for their location. Above all Janine promotes creating outdoor spaces that are not just an extension to your home, but become an integral part – designed to be lived in and enjoyed.
++ GIVEAWAY: Urban Sanctuary by Janine Mendel ++
If you would love to gain some inspiration for your own garden design, we have ONE Urban Sanctuary book by Janine Mendel to giveaway! Simply leave a comment below by 7pm on Sunday 16 September 2012. The lucky winner will be notified by email. Goodluck!
Urban Sanctuary by Janine Mendel (Published by Hardie Grant, RRP $59.95) is available where all good books are sold
Check out your fingers and toes girls, as today we have a fab giveaway from New Zealand designers, Kester Black. Their colourful nail polish range made in Australia was released on the market just last week, and in addition to sporting a glam colour range, they possess some great eco credentials too!
How many of you have thought about what is in the nail polish you apply to your fingers and toes? We all know it smells to high heaven, but what affect does that have on your health and environment? The Kester Black nail polish range is impressive in what it doesn’t contain. It is free from the highly toxic toluene (responsible for that paint thinner smell), formaldehyde and dibutyl phthalate (DBP). BUT it still performs as a nail polish should!
~~ GIVEAWAY DETAILS ~~
Now to the fun part – To celebrate the release of the Kester Black nail polish range, they are giving away THREE nail polishes to one lucky State of Green follower. To enter, please leave a comment below telling us what your top 3 favourite colours (click here) are, AND head over to Kester Black’s Facebook Page and show them some “Like” love!.
The winner will be drawn at random on Friday 17 August 2012 after 7pm – Goodluck! (Open to Australian & New Zealand residents only)
This is one plastic bottle you won’t be throwing away! Bobble has just launched their stylish plastic water bottle range in Australia, that ticks all the boxes – They are stylish (tick), made from recycled plastic (tick), are BPA Free (tick), filter tap water (tick) and encourage re-use over and over again (tick). The bottles come in 3 different sizes and 6 fab colours, and we have one set (pictured) to GIVEAWAY!
You can tell by the stylish curves and smart water filtration device that this is no ordinary drink bottle. Designed by renowned and award winning industrial designer Karim Rashid (think Veuve Cliquot, Alessi, Sony, Hugo Boss amongst many others!), he has developed a unique carbon filter that draws away chlorine and other nasties from tap water in brightly coloured filters. AND it comes with a funky jug too – perfect for the fridge!
~~ GIVEAWAY DETAILS ~~
To win the set pictured above, simply leave a comment below! The winner will be drawn at random on Sunday 22 July 2012 after 7pm. Goodluck All!